Reflections on the first week of CYB Practice for 2023
Hello CYB Families!
The season is underway! Teams are formed and finalized, coaches have connected with their players, and families are transitioning to the new routine in their households with basketball as the activity. I wanted to reach out to you all to share a few reflections after our first week of indoor practice in 3 years!!!
We had another record enrollment this year across CYB. Our B3 and B2 divisions are larger than they have been in probably 7 years. This is amazing and encouraging for the future not only of CYB basketball but for basketball in our community. The more kids play, the better they become at playing and knowing the game. We are happy that we have enough practice slots at El Roble to cover all teams and have been able to fill the practice slots with youth basketball players! Speaking for myself (and others I’m sure), indoor practice was AWESOME! So good to be able to play and shoot on a hardwood court. Parents can watch from the side without freezing. Players get to feel and hear the sounds of a court. The CYB Board is looking forward to an amazing season of “real” CYB basketball.
As you might imagine, the record enrollment and returning to “real” CYB basketball after almost 3 years from our last indoor game means we have A LOT of families and coaches who are new to CYB! Even if you played and were involved last year (the outdoor year) you may not be familiar with some aspects of CYB. As such, I’d like to share a few things that we all should know about how CYB runs…
- The biggest and best aspect of “real” CYB is the INDOOR practice and games!!! Each team gets one half-court 1 hr slot on a weekday night at El Roble. You are not to have a 2nd indoor practice. Games will be at Claremont High School (CHS) and El Roble (ELR) on Sundays starting Dec. 4!!
- The Schedule is being created and should be up this week. We have to wait until all teams are formed and such to create the schedule. There are many factors to consider in scheduling so please be patient with CYB as we balance those factors in creating a schedule.
- Teams are formed, practice slots are set, NO ADJUSTMENTS WILL BE MADE AT THIS TIME. CYB has a process for forming teams that includes divisions by grades, player evaluations, and an open “fantasy sports” style draft. No preformed teams or player requests are granted. As such, we cannot guarantee you will play with the coach or player you requested on the registration. That is simply to help inform coaches and the league during the draft. This is NOT a reason to change teams.
- Same is true for practice slots. If you cannot make the indoor slot, hopefully you can make the 2nd slot that the coach has full control over. This is NOT a reason to change teams.
We are guests at CUSD locations (CHS and ELR). As such, we ask that all coaches, players, and parents be good guests…
- Please park in the parking lot and not pull into the gate at ELR.
- Please take any trash out with you.
- Do not touch or move or adjust anything ELR or CHS have set up (volleyball nets, etc.)
Thank you and we are looking forward to a great season!!